Saturday, August 20, 2011

Meatloaf Smeatloaf Double Beatloaf

Brian's a guest bloggin'. . .


I’ve always been a little wierded out by the whole blogging thing. I just don’t get it. I don’t know why, I just don’t. I have enough crap going on in my life to sit and share it with the inter-webs. So, when my wife asked me to be a guest blogger I instantly started freaking out a bit. Not to mention I was in the middle of cooking our dinner which I honestly don’t do very often. It’s not because I suck or don’t like to cook but mostly because my wife is the bomb diggity when it comes to cooking up some deliciousness. I actually spent about a decade of my life in the kitchen cooking for a handful of different restaurants. Anyway, enough about me and my pittley ass feelings and past.

In typical man fashion . . . I love me some meatloaf. I mean, who doesn’t like a big mound of ground up meat filled and covered with tasty flavors and sauce. Shit, I just finished eating and I’m ready to make another one.

Unfortunately, as fate has it, my family has a terrible history of heart disease. My Dad died at 56 my Grandpa at 58, both from jacked up tickers. So, needless to say, I’m sweating that shit just a tad. As a result, I try not to eat a ton of red meat. With my hot ass wife’s help and healthy cooking (fingers crossed) I might live to be a lot older than the past generations of males in my family. There I go with my personal history and feelings again. Maybe I’ll be good at this blogging thing after all.

Anyway, three paragraphs later... I’ll get you up to speed on how to make one f’in blog worthy turkey meatloaf with rosemary red potatoes and asparagus.

What you need:
1 lb Ground Turkey Breast
1 Large Egg Beaten
Big Handful Panko Bread Crumbs ( I didn’t measure this - just eyed it)
14-15 shakes of Worcestershire sauce (no scientific measurements here)
1 Large Diced White Onion
2Tbs Tomato Paste

1/4 Cup Chicken Broth

1/2 Cup Ketchup
Large Pinch of Brown Sugar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp Fresh Thyme (but don’t sweat it if all you have is the dried stuff – use ½ tsp)
Salt
Pepper
1 lb Red Potatos(6-8 depending on their size)
Dried Rosemary
Garlic Salt
1 Bunch of Fresh Asparagus cleaned with ends snapped off

How to Cook that Shit:
Pre-heat your oven to 325. While it’s heating up, put a large chop on to the red potatos (sometimes quartered is too big so pay attention to their sizes). Toss potatoes in a light drizzling of olive oil, a couple teaspoons of rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Dump those little bitches on a non-stick cookie sheet and put them in the oven once it’s all heated up properly. We like our taters’ a bit crispy so they cook for about an hour and 15 minutes.

The next part is fixing up the big ole loaf of goodness. In a medium skillet heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil. When it’s nice and hot throw in the onion and a little salt and pepper. Cook til’ translucent not brown. Mix in tomato paste, Worcestershire, chicken broth and thyme. Keep stirring for a couple of minutes to combine. Scrape it all out on to a large plate, spread it out flat and put it into the fridge until it cools to room temperature. Once the flavor infused filling is done chilling in the fridge combine it with the ground turkey breast, Panko, and egg. Mix that sloppy mess up with your hands and form into a big f’in ball. Drop that meat into a small loaf pan and form into an evenly shaped meat log. Mix the ketchup and brown sugar and slather it onto the top of the meat. Throw it in the oven to join your tasty ‘taters. Cook the meat for about an hour or until it’s internal temp is jumpin’ up to 160.

Place a large skillet with a Tbs of olive oil over a medium-medium high heat about 15-20 minutes before the meat mountain is done cooking. When the oil is hot as shit, pile the asparagus into the pan with a sprinkling of garlic salt and pepper. Cook to desired firmness. We like ours al dente’.

There you little blog lovers go! A massive, moist, meat missile, rosemary red ‘taters, and asparagus that won’t give you a heart attack. Oh shit! My wife hates the word moist, sorry babe. However, she does love this meat missile and she can’t stop talking about how good it is.


Peace Out.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome writing, awesome recipe! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blog- can't wait for the next one! You are a natural!

    ReplyDelete